As substances change from one state to another, a lot is going on from a molecular perspective. Today we get to learn more about this.
- 1. Sketch an image of the molecules in the beaker before the heating.
- 2. Describe what happens to the ice molecules as heating begins.
- 3. What happens to the temperature once the ice begins melting?
- 4. What happens to the temperature once the ice is completely melted?
- 5. Describe what happens to the liquid water molecules at this point.
- 6. As we continue heating, we see that the temperature becomes relatively constant once boiling begins. What temperature does this occur at?
- 7. Describe what happens to the liquid water molecules at this point.
- Use enthalpy to convert between energy and grams
- Describe molecular changes during phase changes
- Calculate energy absorbed or released during heating/cooling through phase changes