We will really dive deeply into energy today. You will learn how to find the energy absorbed or released by a substance using specific heat and ways in which energy flows into and out of a system.
- 1. Define each of the following in your own words:
- a. Thermal energy
- b. Mass energy (Kinetic energy)
- c. Potential energy
- d. Chemical energy
- 2. Identify which form(s) of energy is/are changing in the scenarios below and indicate how they change (increasing or decreasing):
- a. An acid and a base are mixed and the temperature of the solution increases.
- b. A log burns in a fireplace.
- c. A penny is dropped from the empire state building.
- 3. ∆E=q+w
Identify the variables in this equation and explain how a car skidding to a stop could be represented using this equation.
- Use specific heat to determine the total amount of energy gained or lost by a substance
- Describe temperature vs. heat
- Warm Up
- Ion Quiz 3 Grading
- 2.02 – Specific Heat